The Story Behind the Food
Lobster Mac & Cheese combines a classic New England seafood with a favorite comfort food. So I decided to combine a classic North Dakota fish with my 5 yr old daughter's 2nd favorite food - Mac & Cheese. Her #1 favorite food is antelope steak.
For this recipe, I used some perch I caught while ice fishing with two great friends, Clint & Lisa. Clint is my hunting mentor, who first introduced me to hunting back in 2002. It has now become my passion. So it was a real treat to get to spend a day with them fishing out on the ice on a frozen lake here in North Dakota.
Every recipe I found for mac & cheese made a lot! So I played around and created this version for my small family to get one supper plus leftovers for lunch the next day. It's simple and delicious, and you and your kids with love it.
- 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
- 2 cups half & half
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups shredded Italian blend cheese
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon each black pepper, nutmeg, and Tony's seasoning
- 8 to 12 ounces boneless perch fillets
- 2 Tablespoons butter + 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cook macaroni in boiling water based on package directions for 6 minutes. Drain water.
3. Meanwhile, heat half & half in small pot over low heat.
4. In a large pot combine 3 Tablespoons butter & 1/4 cup flour and whisk on low heat for 2 minutes. Add hot milk & whisk another 2 minutes until thick.
5. Take sauce off heat & add 2 cups shredded Italian blend cheese & 1 cup shredded Cheddar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon each black pepper, nutmeg, and Tony's.
6. In pan, cook perch fillets in 2 Tablespoons butter. Next add fish and drained & cooked macaroni to sauce and mix well.
7. Spray ramekins or gratin dishes with cooking spray, spoon in macaroni mixture.
8. Combine 3 Tablespoons melted butter, 1/2 cup Italian style breadcrumbs, and **optional 2 to 4 Tablespoons Perch eggs. Sprinkle this mixture on top of Mac & Cheese. Bake for 30 minutes and serve.